We all know that there are lots of benefits to walking, both physical and mental. Any type of walking is good for you, but the faster you walk and the more often you walk the better the benefits.
Making it a habit is key, start with planning different routes for variety. Set achievable goals especially if you are just starting out. A simple plan like going out for 10 minute walk at lunchtime every day. Once it becomes routine you can extend the length of time or add another walk in at another time of the day.
If you miss a walk, that’s fine, there’s always tomorrow. Be kind to yourself and congratulate yourself on achieving your goals. Walking everyday for a week deserves a pat on the back.
So what are the benefits of walking?
- Burns calories so can help maintain a healthy weight. The more you walk, the faster you walk the more calories you will burn.
- Tone your legs. Walking strengthens your muscles, to help improve muscle tone, plan a route that includes hills or stairs.
- Strengthens your heart. Some research indicates that 30 minutes of walking 5 days a week can reduce your chances of coronary heart disease.
- Improves your mood. Some studies show that 30 minutes of brisk walking 3 days a week can help reduce anxiety, depression, and a negative mood.
- Boost energy. Walking increases the flow of oxygen through the body. It can also increase levels of the hormones that help elevate energy levels
- Creative thinking. Walking helps to clear your head allowing space for creative thinking and problem solving.
- Wear appropriate clothing
- Bring water if you plan to go on a long walk or if the weather is hot – stay hydrated
- Plan you route, consider the weather and the time you are going to go out at
- Wear hi-vis, make sure you can be seen.
- Don’t forget to warm up and cool down
Remember the faster, farther and more frequently you walk, the greater the benefits.
For more ideas of how to become a better you, why not check out our Self-Care blog for some inspiration!
We would love it if you shared some of your self-care ‘walking’ moments with us, we can help motivate each other to stay on track! Just tag us in your image on whichever social media platform you use!💗💗💗