A QUICK GUIDE TO GUA SHA
Gua sha (pronounced gwa shah) is a traditional Chinese healing technique that involves using a tool to scrape the skin in order to improve circulation, reduce inflammation, and promote overall health and wellness.
Don’t forget this should be carried out in calm, methodical manner. Set the scene before you begin. Put some relaxing music on in the background. Light a candle. Try to focus on your breathing while you are sweeping the tool across your face.
If you’re interested in trying gua sha as a facial massage technique to improve the appearance of your skin. Here are some steps to guide you:
1. Choose the right gua sha tool: For facial gua sha, you’ll want to choose a smaller, more delicate tool than what you might use for body gua sha. Jade or rose quartz tools are popular choices, but there are many other materials available as well.
2. Start with clean, dry skin. You can use gua sha on your face or body, but it’s important to make sure your skin is clean and dry before starting.
3. Apply a facial oil or serum. Gua sha works best when used with a facial oil or serum to help the tool glide smoothly over your skin. Apply a few drops of your favorite oil or serum to your skin and use your fingertips to massage it in. Here are some popular options you can use:
4. Hold the gua sha at a 15 degree angle. Gently press it against your face. Start with the forehead using an upward and outward motion from your brow towards your heairline.
5. Focus on specific areas of your face for a moment. Using long sweeping motions concentrate on each area. After your forehead move to the jawline, cheekbones and then under-eye area. Use long sweeping motions.
6. Use the shape of the gua sha to target specific areas. Use the unique shape in the hollows of your cheeks or the sides of your nose.
7. Finish with your neck. After you have finished massaging your face with the gua sha gently massage your neck in an upward motion towards you chin.
NOTE: Gua Sha should not be painful. It is recommended that you only us a gua sha tool once or twice a week to avoid overstimulation of the skin.
BENEFITS OF GUA SHA
There are several claims about the benefits of gua sha, and some of them have been supported by scientific evidence, while others remain unproven.
Here are some truths about the benefits of Gua Sha:
1. Can improve circulation: Studies have shown that gua sha can increase blood flow to the treated area, which can help to reduce inflammation, alleviate pain, and promote healing.
2. Can reduce muscle tension: Gua sha can help to release tension in the muscles and fascia, which can help to alleviate pain, improve mobility, and promote relaxation.
3. Can improve skin health: Gua sha can help to improve lymphatic drainage and promote detoxification, which can improve the appearance of the skin and reduce the risk of acne and other skin conditions.
You might also be instered in…
Happy December, beauty enthusiasts! As we bid farewell to 2023, at Beauty Buddy we've wrapped up the ultimate skincare gift – the top ten must-have products that have stolen the hearts of our beauty squad. From the trusted formulas of Garnier and the soothing touch of...